Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Sea Change by: Zoe Strauss



            Zoe Strauss’s “Sea Change” was a somber and pensive gallery. The title itself comes from an idiom coined by Shakespeare, which fittingly means “a change wrought by the sea”. The gallery itself depicts the aftermath of three disasters: Hurricane Katrina, the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, and Hurricane Sandy. The images showed numerous destroyed houses, wrecked cars, and the defeated look of those who lived near the areas affected.
            The gallery resonated on a personal level with me. I can vividly remember being “evacuated” from campus when Hurricane Sandy touched down in 2012. Going to my house in southern New Jersey seemed counterintuitive, but we were fortunately spared by the storm. I had only heard stories about the destruction that happened to the State’s prized shores.
Eventually, that following summer, a friend asked me to work with him at one of the shore towns that was hit hard by the storm. When we got to Long Beach Island as spa and pool repairmen, the town was still in shambles. I couldn’t believe that even months later, the hurricane’s damage was still apparent. I was horrified to see entire developments of houses that were literally only frames.
The gallery also captured the “Jersey pride” essence that I experienced during my time in LBI. In the gallery there were numerous road signs saying things like “Jersey Strong”, “This Is My Hometown”, or “No One Keeps Us Down”. Similar signs were posted all over the place in LBI. While I know I didn’t see the worst of what the hurricane did, the gallery reminded me of all the sad and somber feelings that I experienced during my time on the island. Personally, it gives me a sense of heightened respect for the ocean after seeing the “sea change” it can cause.

A swamped pool in LBI caused by Sandy. Image by Cody Long

No comments:

Post a Comment